Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home Grown Art

Brian Kipping - Last Sun, Vancouver
Last Sun, Vancouver
2001
Brian Kipping
available at Bau-Xi, Toronto

Brian Kipping - Horse Palace
Horse Palace
2006
Brian Kipping
available at Bau-Xi, Toronto

Brian Kipping - Cold Night, Thunder Bay
Cold Night, Thunder Bay

I was sad to have discovered the hauntingly beautiful work of Canadian artist, Brian Kipping, just after he passed away in April of 2007. I was in a painting class and another painter told me that the paintings I was working on reminded him vaguely of Kipping's work. Wow. That was two years ago, but I still think about the comment and think about Kipping's paintings. I love that he was a modern representational painter. I love that he painted what he saw around him in various Canadian cities. Most of all, I love his mastery of colour - specifically of making colour seem to almost glow by electric light.

No comments: